Sunday, March 22, 2009

Our First Family Ski Trip

We went skiing with our church youth group for spring break. Jarrod grew up skiing with his family at least once a year, so we were so excited to have the opportunity to teach Logan and go as a family. It was an adventure for sure...a 13+ hour carride, a 4 year old who still needs daily naps and early bedtimes...a six month old plus mom and dad in one hotel room...made for some interesting and less than patient first few days, but in the end it was awesome and we are so grateful that we went.

We have too many stories and too many fun things to tell, but we'll summarize it to say that we were all very grateful that the Sandlin's also were there with us. Logan loves Brylie and he got to spend all of his daylight hours with her--it was a very sad day when she had to leave to go to her grandparents!! They got to have a "movie night" with McDonald's "take out" and popcorn on a towel picnic blanket while watching "Night at the Museum." They played "King of the mountain" and learned to ski together. Such sweet memories!

It was a hard trip on our sweet Miss Priss. She had what I believe to have been altitude sickness the second day, but she got better later that day. By the end of the trip, I ended up staying up all night with her because she was having so many breathing issues. I took her to the doctor on Friday and sweet little thing has bronchitus. Thankfully, it hasn't turned into RSV, so we're giving her breathing treatments and praying that it doesn't.

Here are too many pictures, but trust me...this is very narrowed down.

When we first got to the mountain

Logan and Brylie gearing up for a snowball fight before ski school


Logan and Brylie getting their boots and skis


Our sweet family...isn't Elly adorable in her snowsuit and "fur" hat!!!

Logan's favorite part of ski school: the magic carpet

Jarrod teaching Logan on day 2
He went from holding a pole, to holding a hand
to this...yay Logan!!!
Logan was doing great by day 3...he was finally rested and ready to do something that felt unnatural and a little uncomfortable to him
The 6 month old version of "Pimp My Ride"
These guys were great. They saw me pushing her stroller up and down the hill to take pictures of Jarrod teaching Logan and decided that I needed to try these "stroller skis." I scared more than a few people, thinking that I was going to ski with her in her stroller...seriously, can you imagine? I sat out this year...I was a little too nervous for Jarrod to backpack her, plus I couldn't fathom trying to nurse with all of my ski gear on. But, I still had a wonderful time getting to watch!!!
One story to end with...Logan went to a half day of ski school and child care the first day. They don't offer group ski school until you are 7, so he had an hour and a half private lesson with the other 2 1/2 hours of "child care." When we got back to the hotel, my friend Darla asked what his favorite part of skiing was. He told her "Oh, oh you get to take your shoes off and play in your socks." I cracked up...sounds like a blast to me!

11 comments:

The Brays said...

Sounds fantastic! We must join ya'll next year!

erin said...

I didn't even know they made stroller skis. You learn something every day. Glad y'all had fun.

Jenny Wims Sullivan said...

Ahhh...I am sorry that we missed you too...we would have enjoyed meeting up with you guys too. I will try to plan better next trip!
Hugs,
Jen

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

I would pay money to see Jarrod skiing while pushing a stroller on skis and get a great laugh from the looks he'd get. ha ha (I'm really glad he did not do that, by the way...) Logan, what a fab little skier you are!!! I am so proud of you. Looks like you all had a good time!!! Glad everyone came home with all bones in tact.

Ashley said...

What a fun trip!! Maybe we can join the fun next year!

Gammie said...

Hello, we have mountains and skiing here in Tennessee, too! David gets a 50% discount in season and a 75% discount out of season at State parks' cabins and lodges. There's not much difference in mileage from Midlothian, either!!! We'll be glad to keep Elly while you go out on the slopes!!!!

amber dayton said...

What cute pics & fun memories! Loved the stroller ski wheels - how awesome! So glad that you guys had a fun trip.

Lisa said...

How fun! I'm sure you have lots of stories to tell. Hope Elly is feeling much better and hopefully I'll see you guys at school tomorrow.

Amanda said...

How fun! Sweet pics and sweet memories!
We pray Elly feels better soon! :(

Jessica said...

You actually scared me to death too! I saw the pic of the stroller skis before I read what you were doing. I had never seen those before - then again, I haven't been skiing in almost 6 years - YIKES! Anyway... I'm glad you aren't skiing with Elly in a stroller! :)

the Wilbecks said...

Hey.. I love skiing! I'm glad to see you all are doing well! - Chris