Friday, August 15, 2008

38 Week Update

Well, I went to the doctor on Wednesday and was surprised to find that she was out on vacation. So, we didn't get a lot of information at all...to be quite frank...I was a little bit upset with this. I am 38 weeks pregnant, set to deliver this baby next Thursday and I have yet to be checked at all. On the surface, this seems like a great thing--I only have to be checked once in the entirity of my pregnancy...however, I have become more and more concerned that we really have no idea what is going on and I'm more than a little anxious that I could go into labor and have the same situation as we had with Logan with an emergency c-section. So, my husband has tried to calm me down (these are his comments: you could be in Thailand with a doctor that doesn't even speak English, you could be delivering on the prarie and I could be the one delivering the baby....thanks Jar...we need another direction here...I don't feel very comforted...) I'll go back on Wednesday of next week for my final visit, but it seems pretty useless at this point...I guess theoretically they could take her on Wednesday instead of Thursday if necessary.

We also went to have our last ultrasound yesterday...another not so great experience...we waited for an hour in the waiting room, were called back and I was not able lay on my back due to some pretty intense breathing issues. So, she had me lay on my left side. Well, the monitor was on my right side...so Jarrod and Logan got a pretty minimal view and I got a look at her heart and leg before I had to turn over for the remainder of the ultrasound. After she had me turn over, she gave no commentary, so Jarrod and Logan had no idea really what they were looking at....just that it was our baby girl. Now anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a very patient person, so I was trying every maneuver possible to crane my neck around to that monitor...how do you lay in an ultrasound room and NOT be able to see your baby while everyone else in the room does???? Not only that, but they didn't have the printer hooked up to the machine so we didn't get to even see pictures afterwards...we'll get them next week she assured us...seriously, why do I need them on Wednesday when I'll be holding her on Thursday morning??? We did find out that she is head down and they expect her to be about 8 1/2 pounds. It seems like she spent an eternity on her head size...Jarrod said that she was measuring and remeasuring her head...so she's liable to have a big noggin'!

Sorry for the venting session...hopefully my attitude will improve before the end of the day!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sorry your experiences were not very good ones! :(
You FOUR will be in our prayers over the next few weeks.
I hope you have Jarrod or someone to take over blogging duties right after the baby is born! I can't wait to see her. :)
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I didn't get checked but once at the beginning of my pregnancy with Hannah. They knew I had to have a c-section and because of a prior one and my fibroids and age I was surprised I didn't get checked. They just scheduled the section and there she was! So try and relax I guess this is normal procedure. I know they don't want to throw you into labor so maybe that is why.
Love, Sis Stacy

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

I swear, there is NOTHING more annoying than getting close to delivery and having so many obnoxious things go wrong, or, not as planned I should say. It always seems occur right at the end, huh? I am sorry about your frustrating visits - it will all be over soon -soooooo soon! Hang in there!

And don't you just love comments guys make about things they have and never will experience?! Sometimes it's best if they say nothing. No offense, Jarrod. :) But you got to love the guy. He's trying...