Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sweet Questions

Let me preface this with the fact that (again) there aren't any pictures--they are coming, but I have to get these conversations written down before I forget them--they are priceless to me.

Any of you who know my Logan know what a talker he is, how often and how many questions come from him and how he not only wants to know--he wants to know EVERYTHING there is to know about a situation. I get off of the phone and he immediately hits me with:
"Who were you talking to mommy?" After I answer the questions roll: "What did she say?" "What else did she say?" If we're close to home he starts with "We're almost home, tell me mommy!" very urgently.

Many of you also know that Logan knows that his Gumpy is not my "daddy" and that my daddy died when I was younger. (Know also that Gumpy is one of the best of the best father-figures and that he is an amazing grandfather to my children and nieces and nephews!) Logan also knows how my daddy had his teeth knocked out in a motorcycle accident before I was born. So, about 2 miles from my house this afternoon he started this conversation:
L:"Mommy, why did your daddy not have any teeth?"
Me: "Well, he got into a motorcycle accident and all of his teeth were knocked out."
L:"Why did he get into an accident?"
Me: "Well, he was going too fast and he crashed."
L: "Was he speeding?"
Me: "Yes"
L: "Why was he speeding?"
Me: "Well, he wasn't making a very good choice and sometimes people make bad choices."
L: "Did a motorcycle policeman come when he was speeding?"
Me: "Ummm, I'm not really sure, but I don't think so."
(He's obsessed with speeding and policemen coming when people are speeding)

Second part of the conversation:
L: "Your daddy died when you were a little girl."
Me: "Well, yes he did"
L: "What did you say when he died?"
Me: "I cried."
L: "No, I said 'what did you say?'"
Me: "I don't remember, I just remember that I cried."
L: "Why did you cry?"
Me: "Because I was sad"
L: "Why were you sad?"
Me: "Because I knew that I would never see him again."
L: "What did Gammie say to you that he died?"
Me: "I don't remember what Gammie said to me."
L: "Why were you sad?"
Me: "Because I loved my daddy very much and I knew that I wouldn't get to see him again. And I knew that you would never get to see him."
L: shaky voice, tears streaming down his face: "But why would you never see him again?"
Me: "Well, honey because he died."
L: "But, we can see him in heaven."
Me: "I hope so, I hope that you're right."
L: "But, mommy you said--you said that we get to see the people that we love in heaven again."
Me: "You're right honey, you're right. Maybe we should talk about school today."
L: "No, mommy. I'm not crying. There's just tears running down my face."

Sweet, sweet little boy. He has such a tender heart. I was amazed by two facts: 1. He associated that Gammie would be the one talking to me about my daddy even though he's never seen a picture of them together and we've never referred to them together. and 2. He knows how painful this was for me, somehow, someway he sees the sadness and it hurt him too. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this child.

Now on a much lighter note...this is his favorite question for his Gumpy: "Gumpy, tell me some things you did bad when you were a little boy?" Gumpy sometimes answers, and sometimes tries to convince him that these are the things Aunt Mendy did bad when she was little. Where does this child come up with this stuff???

2 comments:

Ashley said...

So precious!!

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

Okay - now you have me in tears. How precious little boys are. Their words are even more precious. And how wonderful it is that you can share your memories of your dad with Logan, and that he cherishes them.

What is it with boys and cops and speeding?? That's a daily topic at our house as well.