Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Best Friends


Logan 1-2 years old with Maddie



Its amazing to think that 4 years ago, I was pregnant with Logan and had only one other "child"-- our Chocolate brown lab,Maddie. Maddie became very protective of me during that time and would come lay her head on my belly as I laid on the couch as if to say, "Hello in there--I know you're coming." They've loved each other since we brought Logan home from the hospital. Maddie is a great dog; however, just last summer, after being sprayed by a skunk 2 different times within a week, she earned the right to be an outside dog. When we moved into our house, Logan wanted to start feeding Maddie as soon as he woke up. He runs outside in his pjs, no socks (no matter how cold it got this winter--snow and all at times) and gives her her food. The other day, I heard something in the living room as I was getting dressed and came out to find the tv turned off and no Logan. I looked outside and saw Logan sitting cross legged in his chair just looking at Maddie. He eventually played fetch with her--which he loves to do, but he just wanted to go outside and be with her. He did crack me up though, because he went over to get her ball and Maddie bumped into him almost knocking him over. He told her: "Maddie be careful with me. I'm fragile!"

This weekend, we went to the houseboat in Arkansas and left both Logan and Maddie with Annie. (Huge thank you, Annie!!!) Logan was SO grateful that Maddie was there, but became VERY upset because we had to leave Maddie an extra night. We had Annie bring Logan back to Midlothian because we were getting back later than we had expected to, but that also meant that we couldn't get Maddie. Jarrod is going to get her today, but Logan expected her here when we got home from school. He started crying when he realized that she wasn't home yet.
His favorite conversation lately is:
L: Why is Maddie getting grey?
M: Well, she's getting old, honey. Dogs don't live forever.
L: Why dogs don't live forever? Will she go to heaven?
M: Well, I think that God has a special place for dogs in Heaven.
L: (sometimes tearing up) I don't want Maddie to go to Heaven. I will miss her.
M: Well, it will hopefully be a little while before Maddie will go to heaven, but you will be glad that she's there so you can see her again someday.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

How sweet! I hope our labs are that sweet with our kids when that day comes!

Jessica said...

Very cute!

The Brays said...

I love it! Logan is so sweet.